Graffiti Royale/BoardGASM – Unity3D

So, I started to do my Unity3D object placements, building the formal structures up from Tiles->Surfaces->Locations->(City Board (5×4) | Sketchbook (2×3))
Added Pawns (just 4, I have a few more to add, character wise)  This is just mockup art, tried to get a variety, men, women, people of color, etc…
Basically just black/white and then will tint the pawns the color of the specific player using the pawn renderer.

No graphics for the locations (no names at this point, either – in this version – though the long term design docs have banks, cop shops, donut shops, piers, warehouses, skyscrapers, mailboxes, etc…)  I just have a flat color indicating the difficulty level of the zone and the place for teh tiles to go, since, for basic testing mechanics, that’s the important part for mechanics testing.

I’ll have to implement the shop (will be upper right above the sketch book) and a scoreboard (physical game would have a track, but for testing in Unity, just a small display of each player and their score, above the shop, probably).

Once those locations are added, I’ll have to dig into generating the tiles.  I have some already made up, IIRC.  May have to rescale them, we’ll see.

Finally will need to setup the dice mechanic.  I’m not going to worry about powerups or goals at this point, just the basic components, then see what simple placement and purchase and scoring rules work out to be.  Once those are generally worked out, I can add more, but KISS.

So… Without further ado…

It looks pretty shit, but that’s ok, cuz this is prototyping yaaaaaay. LOL.

 

Quartiles, Graffiti Royale & Andromeda’s Got Mutant

Hi neglected page.  Ever since I got my job in March I haven’t had much time to update you, as I’ve been busy hooking people up with Triple Plays and 300/300 mbps intertubez.

Anyways, that doesn’t mean I haven’t been working on projects, I most assuredly have.  Not as frequently as I used to, but slow and steady progress.

My current main focus is a game I’m calling Quartiles.  It’s a board game using a tile placement and set collecting mechanic. After a quick prototype play session I felt good enough that I worked more and sent a pre-alpha prototype to The Game Crafter.  Further testing let me arrive at a theme:  School.  Chalkboard, papers, grades… The name Quartiles lends itself to that.  Here’s a couple pics of the prototype:

I used Nandeck to create them – first time using Nandeck.  A little funky to use, especially w/more advanced scripting, I just had a basic script for these first two pics.  Using that theme concept, I redid the art for the tiles, using a “chalk” art design and a blackboard style background.  The cards will eventually look like notebook paper, and the top portion will look like hand writing for the set (2 2 2 2 in the picture below) and the “grade” (50) will be in red to look like a graded piece of homework.  The bottom half represents powers and abilities you can spend your “extra credit” points on.  I have a lot of playtesting and revamping to do on this.  But even on the first playtest I felt pleased enough at how it turned out that I think has a lot of potential for a simple set collecting game.

I already have an “expansion” planned (probably will just be more cards with the base game) but it would be called Advanced Placement.  And the idea for that would be that you’ll have to fill in the blanks of equations using the numbers you collect.  So instead of just a set, you’ll have to MATH in order to get points.  I might even have “levels” for the Advanced Placement so you could have simple add/subtract for younger kids, but then mult/divide for older kids and maybe some really out there stuff to allow for people to make their own equations:
So
Tier 1: _ + _ = 4
Tier 2: _ * _ = 6

Tier 3: _ + _ – _ = _

Where you could create your own combinations/sets in tier three.
I’m thinking you could really do super easy “preschool” type games where kids just try to collect a set of numbers and for every set they get a card, and whoever gets the most cards wins or something.  So they don’t have to deal with a number like 50 or dealing with more complex things.

I’m also working on the Graffiti game (previously called “Paint the Town” I’m now thinking of calling it Graffiti Royale (to play with the theme of players competing to become the royalty (kings/queens, etc…) of a city (King/Queen being a term of art in the graffiti world.).

And my 3rd idea that I’m excited about is a game based upon creating mutants.  A sort of talent/dog show, and I call it “Andromeda’s Got Mutant”.

Finally –  here’s the script I used to make the blackboard style square in Nandeck:

 

ndeck1_115

Summer Jam: Automute – Progress Log 2

Well, after sleeping in a little later than I wanted to, I got to work after eating and at about 3:00 got most of the vehicles dropped into Unity.

The art is crappy cuz I took a few different premade sprites, resized, and modified a few.  But it’s for a jam/prototype, so I’m not too concerned.
The main issue is that I need to drop in a few more vehicles that are NOT going to be the ones you have to target (i.e. plain old boring not-very-noisy cars)….

Downloading the sound samples now 🙂

Once I get that it’s on to coding shit, and that’ll be a whole other level of work, hrm…summerjam2