Finally got around to testing the core mechanics of GR. Definitely needs a lot of work, but nothing I felt disappointed by or couldn’t use work. But needs more depth. Not a problem considering I’m going for core mechanics testing right now and not a lot of the deeper features (goal cards, police, etc…)

My scoring I’m still not sure on. We tried it with the following system:

Base Score Tile + Square(level zone) (e.g. level 5 (red) would be 25 bonus points).

I feel like it didn’t get me the full score “feel” I was looking for. I think I may end up doing the original concept of a multiplier.
For example, a large tile scoring a base of 12 on a red zone w/no “hits” (e.g. full bonus)
1) 12*5 = 60 (pure multiplication)
or
2) 12 + 25 = 37 (using additive of squares).

My concern is runaway scoring using multiplication (though I feel that this may be resolved by the handcuff/police mechanic once that’s implemented).

The other issue we had was:

I had a vision of each person choosing in turn what they wanted to do by placing their pawns to reserve an action spot. This allowed for blocking people from getting in on some paint buying action, for example.

So while placing was done in one order, I didn’t have a particular concern about resolution. That is, each player placed what they wanted to do, and then, when it came time to resolve actions, I could choose to resolve an action that I chose 2nd or 3rd for my first action.

My roomies (co-testers) thought this wasn’t right and should have the same order of taking the action that we did to choose. Which makes perfect sense. I didn’t like the concern then of how to keep track and they’re like – just put a number on the pawns so 1 is 1st placed/resolved…

Obvious answer is obvious.

So that’s going to be the next thing I do.
Honestly I should check out other worker-placement type games to see how they do it. I have a little exposure, but more is better.

Twitch, Physical Prototypin n more

For the holiday (gobble gobble) I had a decent time.

Played Five Tribes w/my Roomie.  I forget how much I love that game.  It’s just so… good.  Not too complex, but plenty of “interesting decisions” as it were.

Speaking of Sid Meier (or was that Wil Wright?).. Anyways, Steam Sale – picked up Civ 5, Biohazard 4… and a few other titles that looked good.

Started streaming on Twitch a little small streams to test for now.  nothing fancy, just me being me over the gameplay while playing.  Still getting the hang of it.

In the meantime, I grabbed my printed pieces for graffiti royale and glued one sheet to board, and cut that out, need to finish cutting the tiles.  ugh, so hard to do a nice proper clean cut job on foam core w/o util knife.  But it’s finally a start on a physical prototype for playtesting.  Woot!

Graffiti Royale/BoardGASM – Unity3D

So, I started to do my Unity3D object placements, building the formal structures up from Tiles->Surfaces->Locations->(City Board (5×4) | Sketchbook (2×3))
Added Pawns (just 4, I have a few more to add, character wise)  This is just mockup art, tried to get a variety, men, women, people of color, etc…
Basically just black/white and then will tint the pawns the color of the specific player using the pawn renderer.

No graphics for the locations (no names at this point, either – in this version – though the long term design docs have banks, cop shops, donut shops, piers, warehouses, skyscrapers, mailboxes, etc…)  I just have a flat color indicating the difficulty level of the zone and the place for teh tiles to go, since, for basic testing mechanics, that’s the important part for mechanics testing.

I’ll have to implement the shop (will be upper right above the sketch book) and a scoreboard (physical game would have a track, but for testing in Unity, just a small display of each player and their score, above the shop, probably).

Once those locations are added, I’ll have to dig into generating the tiles.  I have some already made up, IIRC.  May have to rescale them, we’ll see.

Finally will need to setup the dice mechanic.  I’m not going to worry about powerups or goals at this point, just the basic components, then see what simple placement and purchase and scoring rules work out to be.  Once those are generally worked out, I can add more, but KISS.

So… Without further ado…

It looks pretty shit, but that’s ok, cuz this is prototyping yaaaaaay. LOL.