Twitch, Physical Prototypin n more

For the holiday (gobble gobble) I had a decent time.

Played Five Tribes w/my Roomie.  I forget how much I love that game.  It’s just so… good.  Not too complex, but plenty of “interesting decisions” as it were.

Speaking of Sid Meier (or was that Wil Wright?).. Anyways, Steam Sale – picked up Civ 5, Biohazard 4… and a few other titles that looked good.

Started streaming on Twitch a little small streams to test for now.  nothing fancy, just me being me over the gameplay while playing.  Still getting the hang of it.

In the meantime, I grabbed my printed pieces for graffiti royale and glued one sheet to board, and cut that out, need to finish cutting the tiles.  ugh, so hard to do a nice proper clean cut job on foam core w/o util knife.  But it’s finally a start on a physical prototype for playtesting.  Woot!

Graffiti Royale/BoardGASM – Unity3D

So, I started to do my Unity3D object placements, building the formal structures up from Tiles->Surfaces->Locations->(City Board (5×4) | Sketchbook (2×3))
Added Pawns (just 4, I have a few more to add, character wise)  This is just mockup art, tried to get a variety, men, women, people of color, etc…
Basically just black/white and then will tint the pawns the color of the specific player using the pawn renderer.

No graphics for the locations (no names at this point, either – in this version – though the long term design docs have banks, cop shops, donut shops, piers, warehouses, skyscrapers, mailboxes, etc…)  I just have a flat color indicating the difficulty level of the zone and the place for teh tiles to go, since, for basic testing mechanics, that’s the important part for mechanics testing.

I’ll have to implement the shop (will be upper right above the sketch book) and a scoreboard (physical game would have a track, but for testing in Unity, just a small display of each player and their score, above the shop, probably).

Once those locations are added, I’ll have to dig into generating the tiles.  I have some already made up, IIRC.  May have to rescale them, we’ll see.

Finally will need to setup the dice mechanic.  I’m not going to worry about powerups or goals at this point, just the basic components, then see what simple placement and purchase and scoring rules work out to be.  Once those are generally worked out, I can add more, but KISS.

So… Without further ado…

It looks pretty shit, but that’s ok, cuz this is prototyping yaaaaaay. LOL.

 

BoardGASM.cs

Working back on the C Sharp version of the “BoardGASM” thing.  I am now at the point where I have player and pawn generation.  Today I created the Die class and a list of Die named Dice.  No rolling functionality yet.

The dice in Graffiti Royale are based on a concept I had of increasing danger.  Ascending a 5 color spectrum (Red, Orange, Yellow, Green, Blue), each die in the series would have a single pip increase.
This means, Red has 1 face with a pip, and 5 with no pips. Orange has 2 faces with a pip and 4 with no pips.  Yellow, 3 with and 3 without, etc…
I’m attaching an image to this post to show what I mean.

To use one has some sort of increasing value that is indicated by a color.  This color corresponds to the dice taken.  You grab each dice from ROYGB in order until you have the dice pool to roll based upon the level of the color you’re dealing with.

In the case of Graffiti Royale, that means a “danger level” that both increases danger (A red would be a low level visibility area (alley, say) and blue is high level (billboard)).
So I had to create pool of five six-sided die.
I had hoped to be able to create something like an array of arrays structurally to define/instantiate them:

{{1, 0, 0 ,0 ,0 ,0}

{1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 0}}

And I’m sure there’s a way to do that, but I just ended up making an array of 6 bools (1 for each die face), and then a list of 6 (one for each dice), with a constructor that takes the dice color and a list of 6 bools for the values.  Actually I could just ignore the 6th, now that I think about it, since unless I added a purple die at some point, I’m not really using it.  There’s always a chance of failure (or in our case success, since we DO NOT want to have a “hit” (e.g. be seen by someone)).

So, I did that today.

I’m also working on a personal project to share with 4 friends for a 4 player multiplayer asteroids type game.

In the process of that (I got to basic thrust acceleration and screenwrapping — the screenwrap code I just ganked from Black Module’s Youtube Tutorial…

And the thrust code, was just part of the sample code on Unity’s site for motion and joystick input modified for my needs).

Why reinvent the wheel, ferrealz.

While doing that, I decided to fuck around a bit on making a Graffiti Royale project in Unity and laid out a basic board (not the same board I have laid out physically with my original prototype), but one that’s a bit more balanced in distribution of difficulty levels.

I have that all laid out, and I am in the process of making players pawns.

I think I’ll try to merge my unity game with my BoardGASM code.  This is going to be some major refactoring, but hopefully if I’ve separated concerns well enough (since my logic is all just in C# 7.x (or earlier, I’m not sure what the most newest feature I’m using is, really). I should (hopefully) be able to use that as the sort of server and logic end of things, and the base mechanic/UI/interaction with the game code, can be done in Unity and I’ll (hopefully) be able to make a nice little system for passing state message between server and client (haha, and here, I should probably read more but I’ll work on that when I actually deal with the server/client side of things – right now I’m building the scaffolding from each end, and once they’re ready, I’ll work on the interconnect between them.